Located in northeast Connecticut, Hampton is a quintessential New England town. Incorporated in 1786, Hampton is made up of parcels formerly included in Pomfret, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Mansfield and Windham.
The Nipmuck Trail, used by the Nipmuck and Mohegan Indians before the settlers arrived, runs through the center of town.
Today, Hampton remains a simple rural farming community. The townspeople have worked hard to preserve their heritage. The Hampton meeting house is the second oldest Congregational building in the state; portions of the structure dating back to 1754.
Other local historic landmarks include "The House the Women Built", a two-story building that Sally Bowers and other local women constructed in 1776. The Liberty Pole stands at Clark's Corner, erected by Jonathan Clark in 1849 to mark the distance to Hartford and other towns by the stagecoach of his time.